Fragments of Memories, Sown together with Words

Saturday, June 28, 2014

[2.4 Kiki] Relationships are a Business

Story Arc: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

Tae,

As much as I will regret writing this letter, please, read it through, otherwise you will likely regret it. 

Your interest in Miki is not normal. Call it woman's intuition, but I think you like her more than you let on. 

I told you a relationship is a business. Sometimes in order for a business to prosper, you have to take risks. 

Hearing our story allows you two choices. One, to accept us for who we are, and make Miki happy. Two, leave us both alone so that- so that neither Miki nor I can have you.


We 3 sisters lived in hiding in the woods for several years after our parents were murdered. 
That's right, Miki is my sister, not my cousin. 

I am the eldest, the brightest and the smartest. Miki is the middle child, the serious one of the 3. That leaves Niki, our baby sister. She is childish and inappropriate, but her heart is made of gold. She is brave and curious, cheerful and happy. 

Her happiness is the result of her ignorance. She had not witnessed our mother and father being burned alive at the stakes, and we have raised her to think she has no parents, that she was created by magic. 

Who would believe that you ask?

People who have seen magic, Tae. Who know it exists.


That's right, Tae. Magic. It exists. 

Those who burned our parents call it witchcraft, but it's not an evil that should be condemned. Our family comes from a long line of magic casters that used their affinity to magic to benefit society. 

Our parent's death only encouraged me to build my spell casting skills - an act of defiance to the world you might say. As a surrogate mother to my two younger siblings, I had them train everyday. 

Although I memorized the most incantations and spells, Miki showed the most potential. 


Niki on the other hand, was brilliant from the start. A prodigy. She was able to cast magic without reciting the entire spell. 

The days passed quickly. The trauma of seeing my parents' flesh melt off their bones every night in my dreams to waking up to Niki's never ending talk of unicorns and ghosts - those days were what I would consider, happy.

Because without sorrow, you don't know what happiness really means.  


Then he came. 

I still don't know who he was, or how he found us. 

It was a rainy night, and thunder rumbled, interrupting the constant sound of the harsh wind blowing through the trees. 

It happened so quickly. One moment he was walking into our home, and the next a loud blast as the back of the house exploded with a snap of his fingers. 

With a gesture of his hand, he released an invisible wave of energy that knocked the three of us outside. 


I scrambled for my wand to retaliate, but I was unable to move. It felt like a giant hand was pushing me into the ground with the weight of a tank. 

I frantically used my eyes to survey my surroundings. 


I saw Miki not too far from me, knocked out against a rock. 

I screamed her name but she didn't move. I was relieved to see her chest moving - she was breathing. 
She was alive.

Struggling to free myself from my invisible captor I tilted my head to the other side of Miki. My body went rigid.


Man: God, you witches are so damn weak. I've seen humans fight back more than you chicks. 

The bastard had Niki held up by the tree. He held her captive with one hand but I could see Niki was unable to release herself from his grasp. 

My heart was racing. The pressure from the force on my back started to feel like nothing as my body became numb. No, Niki, don't do anything stupid. No, no, no, keep quiet then run- is all that echoed in my mind.  

Niki glared at the intruder and to my horror I heard a resounding slap through the howling of the wind. 


Man: Ouch, little lady. Hasn't your mother taught you slapping is rude?

With one hand he pushed Niki into the trunk of the tree. The tree trembled on impact and the leaves rustled down like ash upon the ground. Niki's body doubled over and fell to the floor. He pulled her up by the hair and with one hand grabbed her by the neck and raised her in the air as easily as one would pick up a twig. 

Niki's thin legs swayed lifelessly and I heard her gasping for air. 


I tried to do something. I clawed at the ground in front of me. My hands grabbed dirt and mud crawled up my fingernails but my body would not move an inch. My frustration reached its max and I started pounding on the ground, tears streaming from my face. 


Niki: Yo--You--can't kill--- me.

Man: Why's that?

Niki: I--I---ha--haven't---even---got---fi-first--kiss--

There was a moments pause that seemed to last forever as the rain started to pour harder, blurring my vision. Then I heard a loud thump as I saw the man releasing his grasp and Niki fell to the ground. 

The man grabbed his stomach and started laughing out loud. 


I had finally found my voice and screamed for Niki to run, but she just sat there fixated on the man. 

I saw her mouth moving but was unable to hear what she was saying. 


All too soon the man stopped laughing and wiped the tears from his face. He grab Niki by the arm and made her stand. She swayed unable to hold her balance. He pushed her against the tree once again and began massaging her neck. 

Niki's mouth was still moving but I couldn't hear a word she was saying. 

Man: If its a first kiss you're worried about, I can take care of that for you. 


With that he swung Niki around and balanced her body against his, moving his hand up and down her side. I was only able to see the man's back from that angle - unable to see or hear Niki as my body started to feel frozen. 


I felt nothing. Not the rain, not the wind. Only my heart beating against the ground. 





Then, I felt nothing at all.


When I woke up, it was already morning. 


I jumped up at the sight of Miki and Niki before me. 


Miki: "She's not breathing."


My thoughts were foggy and my head ached as the events of the night came flooding back into my mind. 

My body felt surprisingly light. All my bruises and cuts had disappeared. 
I looked over at Miki slouched over and noticed no wounds on her body as well.


I walked over to where Niki laid and touched her arm. 
My fingertips bounced off against her skin with a sharp static like energy. 

Kiki: "She cast a protection charm on us. It's... It's starting to wear off but... it probably..."

Miki: "...kept us alive."


I stood there for a while looking at Niki as the sun began to rise. 
The golden rays hit her skin and made me realize just how pale she was. 


My baby sister was dead.


All the times Niki had put herself at risk for us, for me, came thundering back into my mind. 

Niki: Well, if something happens, you can just make me again with magic right? I can be replaced, but you two - I can't lose you two! 

Kiki: Really? Don't you think we're annoying?

Niki: Mmm... you can be I guess haha. But I love you! I'll do anything to be with you! 


It was then I made up my mind.


It was a spell I had wanted to use on my parents, but the spell required the dead body to be whole in order to work. To be honest, the burnt ashes of my parents... I was unable to ask for them, unable to let them know I was their child.I don't know where they're buried, if they are buried at all.

Miki: Kiki... what are you doing?


Weeks of searching through ancient texts had lead me to this solution after my parent's murder. I never thought I would use it for this purpose.

Miki: Kiki?


If anything, Niki needed to know she was not a tool created by magic, but a daughter of loving parents. She was not a magical creation, just a jumble of spells, but my sister. Miki's sister.

Miki: KIKI STOP IT.


Forbidden magic or not, I was getting my sister back. 


Chills filled my body as I saw a ghastly formation emerge from Niki's lifeless body. 

All the sounds of the forest seemed to have died away.


There is no spell to raise the dead to full life from the grave. 

However, there were ancient spells to bring their spirit back to the living world. 


The ghastly figure began to fully materialize into the form of Niki. 


There is another condition to make the spell work, besides having the dead's body fully perserved.


I dropped my wand and spread my arms out as the spirit began to come towards me. 

I had worried it may chose Miki as its host, but my worries were to put rest as the spirit quietly floated in my direction as Miki fell to her knees, silently watching.


I closed my eyes, trying to free my mind of the sudden fears that crept into my heart.








Then I felt a warm, soft wind blow into my ears. 

Opening my eyes I saw the spirit so close to me, leaning towards my head. 

She felt surprisingly warm. I realized the wind in my ears were formulating words.

They were hard to hear at first, but the soft voice I heard was unmistakably the sound of Niki's. 

Niki: I knew you would bring me back. It's magic!


Kiki: I told you, I love you too. And I'll also do anything to be with you.


I then heard giggles that seemed to be reaching me from miles away. 
The spirit held me in her arms and drew closer.


It was a strange mix of pain and warmth at the same time. 

It felt like my guts were being torn out from the inside while my heart felt warm, my mind at peace. 


I woke up to the sound of Miki humming. 

Miki: How are you feeling?

My head spun as I tried to sit up. I laid myself back down and closed my eyes. 

Kiki: I've been better.

Miki: ...What happens now?

Kiki: I guess the three of us find a new home. 


Miki: ...What do we do with her body?

Kiki: We'll have to keep it safe and recast the spell annually to keep it from decaying. 

Miki: What about you? What's going to happen?

Kiki: I'm just a host for Niki. A spirit can't last long in the real world without a live body. I'm sure she's a little confused right now but you'll see her pop up from time to time. 

Miki: ...Kiki, I-


Kiki: Don't worry, everything will be fine.


But everything wasn't fine. Niki's spirit began to... get out of hand. Her strong character grew... wilder as the years went by. Even between switching hosts from me to Miki, she causes... trouble. 

Several years ago, my life as Kiki fell to ruin, not because of Niki, but because I was not good enough to keep her in control. But ever since then, Miki has refused to let me host Niki in whatever circumstance. 

Do you understand what I'm saying, Tae?

You're not meeting just one woman, but two. Miki right now is not just Miki, but Miki as well as Niki. 

So I want to offer you a third choice. 

Help me get Niki away from Miki. I feel like... I feel like the spell was a mistake. 
The Niki that has become is not the Niki that me and my sister loved. 

I will not let my decision ruin the life of my sister. 
I will not let Miki continue to suffer for the selfish mistake I made to bring Niki back. 

Miki doesn't have the heart to send Niki back to the grave. 

I... I will be the one to do it. 

I have... I have invested in this long enough, like I've invested... like I've invested enough of my heart in you.

Both have yielded no profit, so I must close the deal. 

...Call me. 

- Kiki 

Story Arc: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

Hopefully this explains Kiki's response to Tae in the previous entry. 
There are still some questions left unanswered, but the entry is getting long with the pictures.

I have had yet to really play around with supernaturals since the expansion pack, so I thought I would marry them into the family early on and see what happens. Action writing is definitely not my forte, sadly. 

Poses used made by Clover, Emmy, IMHO, Tumtum, Artist Kate, Sylvanes, Ohoh, Traelia, and Pnmal. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Suggestions, comments? Let me know what you think!

NOTICE

Changing to this template unfortunately deleted all previous comments, I apologize! Thank you to all who left comments/suggestions previously. I will not forget them!

Welcome!

Please see the Story Guide to aid your reading selection. Hope you enjoy!

Current Story Arc Beginning:

Posting Schedule: 1-2/week

Top Reads

Powered by Blogger.