Fragments of Memories, Sown together with Words

Thursday, June 26, 2014

[2.3 Tae] Reasons to Leave

Story Arc: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

"So, Tae, how was the party last night?"


I learned early in life that words can be man's greatest asset, or man's greatest liability. 

Option A: ...It was fine.

Option B: It sucked. Also, you would know yourself if you would have come like you said you would, instead of ditching me.
  

"...It was fine."

Option B is what my mind chose, but my mouth always defaults to Option A. 

"Good. I told them our funds are low this month, can't give parties a big budget. How much money did they spend throwing that party?"

"I wouldn't know."

"How many different drinks they have?"

"3."

"Juice kegs?"

"None that I saw."

"Right, right, formal party. Dancers?"

"No."

"Stakes? Garlic? Crucifixes?"

"...What?"

I looked at Kiki who just shrugged at me.

"If Miki was there I wouldn't be surprised. Last party she ordered - well never mind. Tell me what happen though. Saerah said there was an incident."

"Who's Saerah?"

"Are you serious, Tae? She didn't talk to you? She was running her mouth for days about you after she saw you at the bonfire. You can't mistake her, she dyes her hair bright pink."


"Oh. The one who gave me flowers at the party."

Kiki almost dropped her bowling ball. 

"She gave you flowers? I knew that girl was gutsy but damn. STRIKE! I'm on a roll today."

Kiki laughed and tried to get me to give her a high five. I refused.

"Sore losers are the worst, Tae. Saerah doesn't like men like that. You'll never get her to go out with you if you keep that up."

I picked up my bowling ball and got into position.

"She asked me out already."

"WHAT? When?"

"As she gave me the flowers."

"You told her yes?"

"Yeah. But-"

"DAMN. Wow. So when did you guys decide to meet?"

"...Wednesday, 8 P.M."

"Wednesday? I guess classes are done by then but- wait."

My ball rolled into the gutter lane missing the one pin left standing. As if that wasn't bad enough, Kiki smacked me hard, center of my back. 

"TAE. It's almost 10 P.M. WEDNESDAY. What the hell are you doing with me here?"


"I cancelled."

"What? Why? It's not... It's not because of me is it? Because I don't think of you like that-"

"I don't either."

"Well, that's a bit of a blow to my pride as a woman, but whatever. Then why?"

"I said yes when I didn't mean it."

I had the same experience in high school with Ginny, my date for prom. It's a mistake I didn't want to repeat, but Kiki didn't have to know about it. 

"Then -why- pass up a pretty face like her?"


Option A: Steer conversation elsewhere.
Option B: She smells like gasoline and smoke. And who dyes their hair pink? 

"I think the incident she mentioned to you was about the cabinets."

"...Sure, ignore my question. Go on."

"We heard screaming after our conversation inside the house. Someone screaming blood."

"Blood? Someone get hurt?"

"No. Miki was screaming blood staring into a cabinet in the kitchen. One guy ran up and checked, apparently it was just some hot sauce bottle that leaked but Miki wouldn't believe him. Kept arguing."

"...I'm going to strangle that girl."


"I didn't want to ask but, does she have a-"

Option A: Stop talking.
Option B: Does she have a mental problem? An illness? She a psycho?

"-never mind."

Kiki raised an eyebrow and spoke matter-a-factually.

"You mean a mental problem? No, we took her to the doctors and psychiatrists. She's just peculiar they say."


"...I see."

"She's a sweet girl, Miki. She's one damn good looking girl too, so it's been a problem."

"Problem?"

"Guys would come knocking seeing her face but her personality drove them all away. Knowing her though, I'm not sure if I should feel more sorry for her or for the guys that had to put up with her before they left."


"So what happened after that?"

"Nothing. They cleaned up the sauce, and Miki went off somewhere mumbling about how we didn't understand. People started leaving the party after that."

"Typical Miki I'd say. And another strike for me! I think I've won this bowling match, lets go shoot some pool upstairs instead."


I lost bowling, and eventually pool but my mind wasn't exactly in the present. Kiki is still gloating over her wins - Option A to keep quiet would be best.


"...It must be hard for her."

"Who? Miki? ....Earth to Tae, answer me please."

"...Having someone leave you when they didn't want to is hard enough. Having someone you thought cared for you leave you because they wanted to must be... painful."

"Who leaves someone when they don't want to? That's stupid. People leave people behind for reasons. Relationship is a business. Love is profit. No profit, game over. If someone loves you they won't leave you. They'll do anything to be with you."


I was angry. 

My Father- I know he didn't leave us because he wanted to. The night he died, it wasn't because of me that he left. He had work. It had nothing to do with the fact that I-

"I'm leaving."

"Hey, wait, why? We have another round to go."


Kiki stopped me before I reached the stairs.

"Look, I don't know what's gotten into you, but I'm sorry, ok? Don't be so sour."

I couldn't get myself to give her a reply. Option B was at the tip of my tongue, Option A ... there was no Option A this time. So saying nothing was best.

"Tae... Ok. Look, how about this. I'll make you a deal, no charge. Since you're soooo upset, I'll let you talk to Miki herself and you can figure out if she's in pain or not. If you're so upset over this 'think how hard it is to have someone leave you on purpose' deal go resolve it with her. I personally think she doesn't care."

I didn't say anything, but my face must have relaxed because Kiki moved out of my path to let me through. She gently pushed me forward towards the stairs.

"I'll call you, Tae. Be prepared, she can be a handful."


As I headed down the stairs, I saw Saerah having a drink. I felt a need to go talk to her, but I froze. She looked up and saw me, smiled just barely, made an obvious fake yawn and said loudly to the girl next to her, "I'm going to head home I have an exam in the morning," and left.


I didn't mention this to Kiki but Saerah had pulled me aside after the party as I was leaving.

"Hey, Tae?"

"Yeah?"

"I know you said you won't go out with me, but can we be friends?"

She had a nervous smile and her eyes were shaking. 

"...Sure. We can hang out sometime."

"Thanks! I work part time at the car shop down the road if you have anything you want fixed. I may not look like it but I can be quite handy!"

Her enthusiasm was painfully fake. 

I said I'll be sure to go visit her whenever I needed something fixed.


They'll do anything to be with you, Kiki said. 

Today is Wednesday. College exams are on Fridays.

I don't think I'll ever see Saerah again. 

Tae


Story Arc: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

It's a rather long entry for Tae to be writing, huh? Looks like Tae is starting to get use to writing in his journal. 

Saerah was also one of the sims I planted into university, and the first "townie" to ever present me with flowers, so I thought she needed a little face time.  

Also seems like something might have happened between Eric and Tae that we don't know about the night he died. And Kiki's promise to let Tae talk to Miki - will Tae survive?

2 comments:

  1. I love how natural your dialogue is. It's something I always struggle with in my story, and it seems to come so naturally in yours. I'm really liking Tae's personality. It's very intriguing. It's almost like he's so weary of everyone in the world. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really makes me glad you think so - I think dialogue is essential in any story/character development. And I don't know, your dialogue is great, it seems so effortless :P And Tae >_< He is interesting to write for.

      Delete

Suggestions, comments? Let me know what you think!

NOTICE

Changing to this template unfortunately deleted all previous comments, I apologize! Thank you to all who left comments/suggestions previously. I will not forget them!

Welcome!

Please see the Story Guide to aid your reading selection. Hope you enjoy!

Current Story Arc Beginning:

Posting Schedule: 1-2/week

Top Reads

Powered by Blogger.